As some of you may have heard, there are some BIG changes being talked about in the Ethiopia adoption world that will drastically change international adoptions in Ethiopia. They are talking about cutting back by as much as 90 percent the number of inter-country adoptions it will allow, as part of an effort to clean up a system rife with fraud and corruption. This would have a devestating effect on those children and families waiting to be united. They are talking of making 5 court referrals per day instead of 50, which will make the process of getting to court a painstakingly long one! This will also effect so many children in Ethiopia. While I agree with the fact that international adoption is not the only answer to the poverty, disease, and orphans of Ethiopia, it is an option when there are no relatives or other in-country options available. Many of these kids who are not adopted out of the orphanges get released and become street children or prostitues. It's a child trafficers playground -- waiting for these innocent children to be relinquished to the street. We cannot allow this to happen! I also agree that we need to come in and help familes of Ethiopia before they get into the situation of poverty, disease and death. But, cutting out international adoptions by 90% doesn't seem to be the answer right now.
At this point, nothing has been officially posted on the Department of States website. We are unsure as to how this could affect us and where we are in the process. I'm trying not to get too excited since nothing is official yet, but it makes me very nervous.
So, without speculating any more, may I ask that you join in prayer for Ethiopia and it's families and children? Following are some great prayer reminders from Tom Davis' blog (Children's Hope Chest):
1. For God's will to be done on earth as it is in heaven. God is in control. For those of you who are facing being stuck, remember that God is in control.
2. For God to breakdown strongholds of the enemy. Every child deserves the right to grow up in a health family, and adoptive families provide that for thousands of children each year. Pray that God would demolish the strongholds that are set up against adoption.
3. For God to fulfill His promises. God defines Himself as the Father to the Fatherless. He declares He will set the lonely in families. He warns those who would interfere with His plan to bring justice and mercy that is due to them. Find the orphan scriptures, pray them to God, and ask Him to fulfill those promises to the children of Ethiopia now.
4. For the courts and judges and government officials making this decision. Ask the Holy Spirit to permeate the courtroom and convict the hearts of the judges and other government officials. Bring the power of the Holy Spirit into these discussions and proceedings--not that we would get our way--but that God's perfect will would be fulfilled in these decisions.
5. For the children and families That God would shorten their wait times. Fortunately, God is bigger than these obstacles. Pray that waiting children would receive comfort. And pray that waiting families would experience peace, grace, and love from those around them.