Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Bye-Bye Giardia!

Yay, it's true... we've finally gotten rid of Giardia in our household.  We've been so busy, that I haven't had time to write about our 'experience'... because you just-can't-make-this-stuff-up and the story is kinda complicated.

There's lots of twists and turns to this story that includes lost stool samples, a lab catching on fire, researching the wrong parasite, and the list goes on . . but long story short... We got rid of giardia -- Praise God!   But, we waited almost 4 months for a 'treatment' plan from the Infectious Disease specialist, were given a course of medicine -- 2 kinds -- retested, received another POSITIVE result and then waited several weeks for a phone call that NEVER CAME.   

After receiving no return calls from our referring pediatrician or the ID doctor for 2 weeks, I contacted Johns Hopkins Infectious Disease to schedule a second opinion.  Hopkins quickly agreed that we needed to get Faith to them ASAP, but I first needed to gather her records. I drove directly to the Infectious Disease Dr's central records department to obtain her records.  To my surprise, her medical records only consisted of 5 pages. . .  no clinical notes, etc.... just a 3-page referral letter from our referring pediatrician, and 2 lab results . . . one from March and one from June.  

My eye's quickly scanned the lab result from June, which read, "NO GIARDIA OR CRYPTOSPORIDIUM PRESENT - NEGATIVE"

**!! What?? Are you serious.  I didn't know if I should celebrate or be really angry!  After a few frantic calls, it was discovered that the nurse who gave the results to me, accidentally read the MARCH lab results, not the JUNE results.  I am so thankful that I decided to gather and review her records on my own.  Her referring pediatrician was going to retreat her again with the same meds (for another $300 and 2 weeks) . . . because he was literally out of ideas and maybe this time it would work (I'd heard that before!!).

But, bottom line -- the girls are BOTH Giardia free  -- It only took 16 months, 9 treatments, 7 different medicines, and lots of patience and prayer.

The thing is, I was so confident that the treatment worked  because I had a feeling of calmness every time I prayed about it -- it was a sense of "don't worry about it .. I got it covered..."   So you can imagine my  devastation  when we received the positive results.  God and I had it out.  I stewed for a couple of weeks -- teetering between trusting the doctors to come up with another plan or jumping ship and starting the process over again with a whole new set of doctors.  Once I talked to Hopkins and they requested Faith's records, I was still irritated because I was starting the process all over again.  I could have had them all transferred as they suggested, but something in me urged me to go get the records my self.  I'm glad I did -- and then I felt horrible for doubting what I already knew deep down in my heart . . . I'm sure if God was a god of "I told you so's" He would have used that opportunity to "tell me so" ... but He's not and for that I am grateful. 
I cast all my cares on You O Lord for You care for me. 1 Peter 5:7

No comments:

Post a Comment